Whether you’re looking to rub shoulders with the stars or whether you want to simply unwind in the Californian sunshine, Los Angeles has something for everyone. I guess that’s what I love about LA – no stone is left unturned and the city is just buzzing with experience, culture and life. If you’re planning a trip to LA, keep on reading because this is the Ultimate Guide to Los Angeles!
Things to do in Los Angeles
LA is huge, let’s get that out there firstly and so the amount of things you can do and experience is endless. To help you plan, check out these top things to do in Los Angeles:
- Hike to the Hollywood Sign (or spot it from Hollywood Boulevard!)
- Take a walking tour of Beverly Hills and learn about the lives of the rich and famous.
- Visit the original Sprinkles Cupcakes in Beverly Hills and use their Cupcake ATM.
- Take a stroll down Rodeo Drive 90210. I’ve previously blogged about staying on Rodeo Drive and you can read that HERE.
- Rent a bike and cycle the coastal route along Santa Monica
- Spend an afternoon having fun at Santa Monica Pier
- Visit Griffith Park Observatory for the best views over Los Angeles
- Visit the best LA museums including the California Science Center, the Getty Center and the National History Museum.
- Go VIP at Universal’s Hollywood Studios – the highlight of my trip. I’ve written about this HERE.
- Do a Movie Set Tour! Popular ones include Universal Hollywood, Warner Bros and Paramount Pictures.
- Go people watching in the very quirky Venice Beach
- Walk in the footsteps of the stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Experience some magic on your trip at Disneyland which is located in Anaheim
- Take in a sporting event! LA is home to many major sports teams including the LA Lakers.
- Make like the locals and enjoy lunch at the Original Farmers Market.
- Take a tour of the Dolby Theatre which is the home of the Oscars.
- If you’re a showbiz fan, a tour of the Grammy Museum is a must.
Where to Shop in Los Angeles
Being as stylish as it is, Los Angeles is a fantastic shopping destination. Its home to luxury high end brands, high street favourites, souvenir stores galore and quirky vintage stores as well. Where to shop in Los Angeles:
- Beverly Center Shopping Mall
- Westfield Century City
- Wilshire Boulevard
- 3rd Street Santa Monica
- Rodeo Drive
- Hollywood and Highland Center
Where to Stay in Los Angeles
Los Angeles has a massive selection of choice when it comes to accommodation. Below are some of my favourite LA hotels.
- LUXE Hotel Rodeo Drive
- Loews Hollywood
- W Hollywood
- Loews Santa Monica Beach
- Best Western Sunset Plaza
When is the Cheapest Time to visit Los Angeles
Having good weather year round means that Los Angeles is always busy with tourists. With that being said, if you are trying to find the best deal, its best to try and avoid dates around Award Ceremonies and also the peak Summer months. Spring time and Winter tend to offer the best deals but if you keep an eye on airline sales etc, you may get a great deal for any point during the year – you can read more about how to find great travel deals HERE.
Top Tips for visiting Los Angeles
- First and foremost, Los Angeles is HUGE and having a car is a must to get from A to B. I’ve been, I’ve experienced this and I think a car really is needed to make the most of the city.
- If you don’t want to take a car, I think its best to base yourself in the Hollywood area as the Metro can take you to surrounding areas of LA from this here. Its also somewhere, where you can get out and walk around without needing a car.
- If you want to experience both sides of LA – the bustling city side and the beach side, why not split your stay between two neighbourhoods!
- That brings me onto my next point, be sure to plan to visit LA’s many neighbourhoods. Each offers something unique and different and the best way to experience the LA life is to take in as many as you can. Tour America have a brilliant guide to the Neighbourhoods of Los Angeles HERE.
- If you’re planning a trip to LA, I would give yourself about 4 nights to really take in all of the sights and the action. There is so much to see and do and the general perception is that 2 nights is enough – its not, trust me!
- LA can be expensive so be sure to budget plenty of money for food etc before you travel.
- Getting out of LAX airport can take a long time so be sure to factor this into your itinerary. It took us approx 45-60 minutes to get out of the airport grounds.
- If you have a car, don’t be afraid to explore nearby So. Cal cities! My favourite is Santa Barbara and its a must visit.
- Everywhere in LA takes 20 minutes to reach by car so make sure you give yourself plenty of time.
- There is always new, hip places and neighbourhoods popping up in LA so before you visit, be sure to visit the Discover Los Angeles website HERE for the best advice on what’s new in LA!
- And, if you can, I recommend you fly Club World (Business Class) with British Airways on their A380 aircraft, because there is no better way to get your trip off on the right foot! 😉
So there you have it, the Ultimate Guide to Los Angeles! Is LA on your bucket list?
Read my Ultimate Guide to New York City.
Read my Ultimate Guide to Las Vegas.
Read my Ultimate Guide to Toronto.